Most of you reading this have found your way onto Twitch or Mixer or some other streaming platform where Christian gamers/streamers mention wanting to share the gospel. When you ask them to clarify or define what it means to share the gospel, you get a variety of answers and definitions.
- Living my life reflecting God’s love
- Tagging social media as a Christian
- Not shoving my faith down someone’s throat
- Answering questions as they come up during my stream about my faith
- Building a community where folks can learn about Jesus
- Stream panel information about Jesus
- Sharing my testimony
- Making relationships
- Daily bible verses
- Praying for folks on stream
- Raising money for organizations
- Donating to my local church and Christian charities
Please don’t get me wrong on this. While all of these are great and show our faith through our works and living our faith out loud, it is not the gospel message.
It’s not the sharing of the gospel.
It all seems rather too passive to me.
Gospel means good news. The gospel message is the good news of Jesus Christ that, even though we are sinners by nature and action, we are offered salvation from death and hell through Jesus’ finished work on the cross.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.” Mark 1:15 ESV
I am just as guilty as everyone else who streams. So here is my confession of the sin of omission in not actively sharing the gospel.
Active sharing. Of the gospel. Each time I stream.
What does this look like? What kind of motto or expression can I share with others when asked what it means to share the gospel?
- It’s the active and intentional speaking of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection and everyone’s need for a savior through media content, community engagement, discipleship, and the cultivation of leaders.
- It’s the observed actions of living a Jesus centered and Jesus filled life in all endeavors and outlets that must bear fruit
- Prepared and ready at all times for God’s divine interactions and situations
- It is not passive nor is it just to be absorbed by others in watching
- It is not waiting for the right moment
There it is.
What do you think?